Are you trying to figure out how to sell your Pokemon cards?
Swirl Cafe and Games is here to help you out!
From figuring out what Pokemon cards to sell to how to price them, this guide has you covered.
Let’s get started!
Choose the Pokémon Cards You Want to Sell
When it comes to choosing which Pokemon cards you want to sell, there are two factors you should consider: Rarity and Condition.
It’s also important to make sure the card isn’t fake and consider other factors that contribute to the value of your card.
Pokemon Card Rarity
Rarity refers to how rare a card is and includes rare card types, such as Ultra Rare cards, Secret Rare cards, Gold Rare cards, and Rainbow Rare cards.
You can tell the rarity of your Pokemon cards by checking the rarity symbols. Circles indicate common, diamonds are uncommon, and stars mean that the card is rare and more valuable.
You can also easily check to see if you have a Secret Rare card by looking at the collector number. If the number on the left is higher than the number on the right (i.e., 101/100), then you have a Secret Rare!
You should also check your collection for holographic cards, first-edition cards, shadowless cards, unlimited cards, and Shiny Pokemon.
Pokemon Card Condition
The condition of your Pokemon cards will also determine their value. Even if you have a rare card, you’re not guaranteed to make much if it’s in poor condition.
Because you will have to pay for a grading service, it’s best to look around and see how much your card could be worth before sending it to an appraiser.
Otherwise, check your cards for obvious signs of wear and tear, such as scratches and peeling corners.
Identifying Fake Pokemon Cards
Although fake Pokemon cards are extremely uncommon, it’s important that weed out any fakes from the cards you want to sell.
In order to identify a fake, there are a number of variations you can check for on your cards that will indicate that they are not authentic.
Click here to learn more about how to tell if a Pokemon card is fake.
Which Pokemon Cards Are Worth Money?
Even if you are just starting your Pokemon card collection, there are regular cards that can earn you a fair amount of money!
To help you choose which Pokemon cards you want to sell, here are the most valuable Pokemon cards you may actually have and their estimated values:
- Charizard Star (EX Delta Species) - $400
- Rayquaza Star (EX Deoxys) - $960
- Charizard Shadowless Holo (Base Set) - $250
- Charizard (Plasma Storm) - $575
- Blastoise Shadowless Holo (Base Set) - $800
The oldest and rarest cards come from the Base Set (1999) and include Pikachu, Charizard, Seel, Pidgey, and Squirtle.
Determine the Price of the Pokémon Cards
There are multiple factors that determine the worth of a Pokemon card, including supply, demand, rarity, location, condition, and the Pokemon on the card.
But there are other things you should look out for to determine if your card is valuable, as well as the price:
What Makes a Pokemon Card Valuable?
It goes without saying that how much money you can make from a Pokemon card has everything to do with its value!
Apart from looking at the factors we mentioned above, here are some other things that can determine the value of your Pokemon card:
- Special Event and Promotional Cards: Some cards were rewarded as prizes for special events or included in promotions and are extremely rare.
- Misprints and Errors: Misprints and error cards have certain elements on them that are incorrect, such as design errors, misprinted ink errors, and repeating factory errors.
- First-Edition Cards: First-edition Pokemon cards are those that were sound during the first print run of a particular set.
- Shadowless Cards: Shadowless refers to a small print run of Base Set that was produced without a first-edition symbol and the inclusion of a drop shadow under the character illustration window.
Setting Your Price
To determine the price of the Pokemon cards, check historical sales to see how much the card has sold for in the past.
You can use sites like Pokemon Price to search for your cards and set a realistic sale price before you sell them.
Choose Where You Would Like to Sell Your Pokémon Cards
If you have some valuable cards on your hands, you can easily sell your Pokemon cards online or in a store!
So, if you’re wondering where to sell Pokemon cards, let’s look at both options:
Selling Pokémon Cards Online
The best place to sell your Pokemon cards online is eBay by taking pictures and listing your card for sale.
There, you can set a base price and allow buyers to outbid each other, potentially increasing your earnings.
However, there are other places you can sell Pokemon cards online, such as:
- Card Market: This European card marketplace allows you to set your own price and will give you averages for similar cards they have sold.
- Troll and Toad: Troll and Toad is a huge card marketplace that sells individual cards, packs, and training boxes. They accept both bulk selling and individual cards.
- TCGplayer: TCG offers living pricing data for cards and is great if you are looking to sell bulk Pokemon cards in Canada.
- Swirl Cafe & Games: Swirl takes most of the work off your plate by selling cards online for you!
You can also sell Pokemon cards on Facebook Marketplace, but you do have to do your research in order to price your cards.
Selling Your Pokémon Cards in a Store
You can also sell your Pokemon cards in a store - and Swirl Cafe and Games can help!
If you have less than 10 cards, you can come visit our location to sell and trade.
But if you are looking to sell more than 10 cards, don’t worry! We have you covered.
Swirl uses Buylist to sell Pokemon cards in Canada, and it’s super easy to use. Once you sign up, you can search for the card you want to sell and take a look at the prices for both cash and credit.
(Yes! We offer store credit for Pokemon cards!)
Add cards to your Buylist and wait for your confirmation email.
Once you receive it, bring your cards to Swirl (sorted and unsleeved, please!) and our team will review them and complete the purchase.
How easy is that?
Click here to learn more about our sell and trade process.
Swirl is the Best Place to Sell Pokemon Cards!
Why? Because we live and breathe Pokemon!
Swirl Cafe and Games is dedicated to all things Pokemon, so we know our stuff, especially when it comes to selling Pokemon cards.
Apart from helping you sell and trade your cards, we also host in-person play, tournaments, and leagues and offer delicious treats like customized ice cream, milkshakes, and more.